Syracuse, New York
Last Day to Apply: March 27, 2019
Clear Path for Veterans
Job Title: Receptionist
FSLA Status: Hourly/Non-exempt
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday
Reports to: Executive Assistant
Clear Path for Veterans, Inc. (CPV or Clear Path), is Upstate New York’s Veteran Resource Center serving as a hub of information, programs and services for veterans and their families. The receptionist is responsible for the first impression of Clear Path for Veterans to our valued Veterans, families, volunteers, and other visitors. The incumbent must display the utmost personal warmth, courtesy, and professionalism. They will perform a variety of office, administrative, and clerical functions to provide service to Veterans, visitors, and support to management.
- On all scheduled work days, open the facility promptly each morning.
- Complete the standard operating procedures for opening the facility each morning.
- In case of absence, communicate promptly with Executive Assistant to ensure responsibilities are delegated to another staff member.
- On all scheduled work days, close the facility at the appropriate time each day.
- Complete the standard operating procedures for closing the facility.
- In case of absence, communicate promptly with the Executive Assistant to ensure responsibilities are delegated to another staff member.
- If issues are encountered during opening or closing, promptly notify both the Executive Assistant and facilities manager.
- At all times, provide superb customer service to Veterans, Veteran family members, visitors and coworkers.
- Work with volunteer staff to inform them of the tasks the Executive Assistant has authorized them to do, while at the same time ensuring they feel valued and important.
- Coordinate and oversee front desk and reception area activities to include:
- During assigned work schedule, ensure the desk is always covered and is organized and tour ready.
- As directed, conduct and/or assist the Executive Assistant with training front desk volunteers.
- Promptly greet everyone who walks through the door making them feel welcome by greeting them in a warm, friendly, and professional manner showing the utmost concern for their comfort.
- Ensure proper sign in of visitors and volunteers is executed.
- Follow SOPs for sign in requirements.
- Ensure literature in the entrance area is organized, current, and stocked.
- Prompt Executive Assistant for materials as needed.
- Respond to Veteran and visitor inquiries, via phone, email, or in person, and/or direct them to the appropriate staff member or program area.
- Determine nature and purpose of visit, and direct or escort them to specific destinations.
- Offer the Veteran or visitor a beverage and use of the restrooms.
- Answer incoming calls within 3 rings and ensure that all callers are responded to promptly and courteously.
- Take accurate messages and ensure they are delivered to the appropriate staff member(s) in a prompt manner or offer callers voice mail when appropriate.
- Use sound judgment to provide Executive Assistant with a daily report of phone and/or email inquiries that will require the Executive Assistant’s follow-up.
- When requested, schedule and coordinate meetings as directed by the Executive Assistant and other managers as authorized by the Executive Assistant.
- This could include arranging and reserving meeting rooms.
- Monitor general office supplies, prompt order when necessary, ensuring an adequate supply is always maintained.
- Perform a variety of data entry functions including using the Salesforce platform.
- At the request of the Executive Assistant or Executive Management, perform a variety of clerical functions including making copies, assembling presentation materials, stuffing envelopes, or other related tasks.
- Continually protect the confidentiality of Veterans, visitors and other employees.
- Receive payment and record receipts for services and all Clear Path for Veterans’ merchandise.
- Receive, sort, and distribute courier deliveries.
- Keep a current record of staff members' whereabouts and availability.
- Perform duties, such as taking care of plants, maintaining fish bowl, great room, lobby, reception, and restroom areas.
- Complete other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements
- High school degree or equivalent required. Associates degree in administrative/clerical studies, business, communications or related field preferred.
- Minimum 1-3 years’ experience as a receptionist in a service-oriented environment required.
- Experience working with Veteran population preferred.
- Salesforce experience preferred.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities required to perform effectively in the position
- Excellent professional level interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and politely.
- Good judgment and problem-solving skills.
- Must be able to multi-task accurately and efficiently.
- Flexibility to work well within changing priorities and situations.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people.
- Strong time management, organizational and prioritization skills; attention to detail.
- Writing skills sufficient enough to draft letters, memos and other professional correspondence.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Computer literacy including proficiency with a variety of software including Salesforce and Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
Valid New York State driver’s license and must have use of a reliable vehicle.
Ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights, weekends and some holidays as necessary to accommodate for special event attendance.
Must be comfortable with dogs in the workplace.
Job-related Physical Abilites needed in order to perform the job in a satisfactory manner
Must possess speech and hearing enough for telephone and in-person communication. Manual dexterity enough for regular use of computer keyboard and other office equipment. Vision sufficient enough for frequent use of a computer monitor to write and read documents. This position requires constant physical activity, including reaching, bending, sitting and standing for extended periods of time. Ability to lift up to 35 lbs.
- All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
- All Clear Path for Veterans employees are required to conduct themselves in a professional manner towards others to include but not limited to; Veterans, volunteers, visitors and other Clear Path employees.
- Ensure that Veterans, volunteers, employees, donors and visitors have a positive experience.
- Supports and promotes the Clear Path mission, core values, and vision.
- Adheres to Clear Path for Veterans policies and procedures.
- Promotes teamwork amongst coworkers.
- Meets or exceeds expected performance standards, including consistently reporting to work on time prepared to perform the duties of the position.
A cover letter and resume should be submitted no later than Wednesday, March 27, 2019, 11:59 pm EST. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Only qualified applicants selected for follow on screening will be contacted.